1. Discover Water, Annual Bill: https://discoverwater.co.uk/
2. Methodology: ComRes interviewed 2,051 GB adults aged 18+ between 19th and 20th February 2018. Data were weighted to be demographically representative of all GB adults. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.
3. The most recent report into investment by the water industry came from the National Audit Office in 2015. This reported a £126 billion investment since privatisation (https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/The-
As part of the investment plans agreed with Ofwat in PR14, water companies are investing an average of £8.8 billion each year from 2015. (https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/
This means that since 2015 around £26.4 billion extra has been invested on top of the £126 billion figure, totalling £152.4 billion (at end of the 2017/2018 financial year). This will rise to just over £160 billion at the end of the 2018/19 financial year.
4. The water industry’s productivity has increased by 64% since 1994’ – Frontier Economics, Productivity Improvement In the Water and Sewerage Industry in England Since Privatisation: http://www.frontier-economics.
5. Ofwat, Economic Regulation of Water Markets Beyond 2020: https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/
6. Ofwat, Profits and Dividends: https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/
7. Stats from DWI, DWQR & NIEA: https://www.water.org.uk/
8. DWI, Drinking water quality in England: The position after 25 years of regulation: http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/about/
9. Lord Gardiner of Kimble speaking in the Lords – 26 October 2017 (See column 1071):https://hansard.parliament.uk/
10. Environment Agency, England’s Bathing Water Results 2015: https://www.gov.uk/government/
11. Defra, Statistics on English Coastal and Inland Bathing Waters: https://assets.publishing.
12. Water UK generated stat – see submission from Water UK to Debt Advice Review, 08.12.17
13. CC Water, Water Matters 2016: https://www.ccwater.org.uk/
14. CC Water, Staying Afloat 2016-17: https://www.ccwater.org.uk/wp-
15. Ofwat, Setting price controls: https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/wp-
16. Ofwat, PR14 Final Determinations: https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/
17. Social Market Foundation, The costs of nationalising the water industry in England: http://www.smf.co.uk/
18. Centre for Policy Studies, Cost of Nationalisation: http://www.cps.org.uk/
19. Defra, River basin management plans: https://www.gov.uk/government/